This comprehensive training is designed to get the accountant up to speed quickly with the complex passive activity loss (PAL) rules that apply to certain investments in trades or businesses and rental activities. The cornerstone of the course is the in-depth coverage of the detailed tax law and regulations applicable to passive activities under IRC §469 and how and when the 3.8% net investment income tax under §1411 applies.
**Please Note: If you need credit reported to the IRS for this IRS approved program, please download the IRS CE request form on the Course Materials Tab and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Basic Course Information
- Identify what activities are subject to the PAL rules and the exceptions to them including those for certain real estate professionals
- Define a passive activity, rental and trade or business under IRC §469
- List the seven ways to materially participate in an activity and the six exceptions to the definition of a rental activity
- Calculate the passive activity income and losses allowed and the tax ramifications of passive activity dispositions
- Recognize what passive activity investments are potentially subject to the 3.8% net investment income tax under IRC §1411
- Detailed coverage of the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act (TCJA) affecting passive activities and rental real estate (i.e., new 20% qualified business income deduction (QBI))
- How the PAL rules apply to rental real estate activities and investments in S corporations and partnerships
- How the 3.8% net investment income tax under §1411 applies to passive activities
- Definition of an activity and the activity grouping and disclosure rules
- Real estate professional exception to the PAL rules for investments in non-passive rentals
- Special $25,000 loss allowance for rental real estate with active participation
- Material participation safe harbor rules
- Events that trigger suspended PALs
- Limitations on tax credits generated by passive activities
- Special rules that re-characterize passive income to non-passive income
Pat Garverick is a Certified Public Accountant who currently lives in the Phoenix, Arizona area. He began his career in public accounting in 1988 after obtaining his Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) in Accounting from The Ohio State University. After receiving his Master of Taxation (MT) degree from Arizona State University in 1992, Mr. Garverick began operating his own tax and financial planning business. He also started writing, reviewing, and teaching tax and financial planning continuing professional education courses around the country.
In addition to being a CPA, Pat is also a Certified Financial Planner (CFP®). This role serves to enhance the knowledge he brings as he writes and presents continuing education material. Mr. Garverick is a member of the Arizona Society of Certified Public Accountants, and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Pat has presented continuing education sessions throughout the country and has won awards for both his skills as an instructor as well as for the content he has created. His knowledge, expertise, and high energy have made him one of the profession’s most highly rated speakers. He is in a very small group of instructors that are both extremely knowledgeable and interesting.
During his time in college Pat earned a letter as a member of the Ohio State Basketball squad. He remains a stanch supporter of the sports programs at his alma mater.
Tue, Feb 18, 2020 - 10:00a to 05:39p CST
Basic Course Information
J. Patrick Garverick
Date Added to Catalog
Tax professionals that need an in-depth training course on the passive activity loss rules and how they apply to certain investments in trades or businesses and rental activities
Course Registration Requirements
Please contact the ACPEN help desk 1-877-602-9877 or email@example.com if you wish to cancel your attendance for a previously purchased webcast and are requesting a refund or transfer.
Complaint Resolution Policy
Please contact Anne Taylor for any complaints. firstname.lastname@example.org, (972-377-8199).
Instructional Delivery Method
Group Internet Based
Official Registry Statement
Business Professionals' Network, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org
Total Reviews: 12